Global Tuidang Center

GLOBAL SERVICE CENTER

for QUITTING THE CHINESE COMMUNIST PARTY

The Women’s Tennis Association Calls for Investigation Into #MeToo Allegation by Chinese Tennis Star

Peng Shuai at the 2010 US Open - Credit: Robbie Mendelson, Wikipedia
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn

Kelly Song | New Tang Dynasty

The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) issued a statement on Sunday calling for a “full, fair, and transparent investigation” into sexual assault allegations made by Chinese tennis star, Peng Shuai, against China’s former vice premier.

WTA Chairman & CEO Steve Simon said in the statement, “Peng Shuai, and all women, deserve to be heard, not censored. Her accusation about the conduct of a former Chinese leader involving a sexual assault must be treated with the utmost seriousness.”

Peng Shuai, 35, formerly ranked world number one in doubles, revealed her multi-year long “coerced sexual relationship” with Zhang Gaoli on China’s Twitter like social media app Weibo. Zhang Gaoli, 75, was China’s vice premier between 2013 and 2018, and remains a high-profile political figure among the highest ranking Chinese Communist Party officials.

Peng’s original post was deleted shortly after its release and her Weibo account frozen. However, the post had already gone viral and was being widely re-posted. International media outlets have been calling this China’s #MeToo claim. Peng has since disappeared from public view, both online and in person.

The WTA has also called for an “end of censorship against Peng Shuai.”

The hashtag #WhereIsPengShuai has been trending on Twitter.

The international tennis community has also expressed concerns. Chris Evert, an American former world No. 1 tennis player, wrote on Twitter, “I’ve known Peng since she was 14; we should all be concerned; this is serious; where is she? Is she safe?”

Alizé Cornet, a French professional tennis player formerly ranked WTA singles world No. 11, wrote on Twitter, “Let’s not remain silent.”

Liam Tarquin Broady, a professional tennis player and current British No. 4, wrote, “I can’t believe this is even happening in the 21st century #WhereIsPengShuai?”

Nicolas Pierre Armand Mahut, a French professional tennis player and former world No. 1 in doubles, said on Twitter, “The fact that Peng Shuai is missing is not only the WTA’s problem. We are all concerned. @atptour @ITFTennis #whereispengshuai #stopthesilence”

Peng’s deleted Weibo post was dated Nov. 2. In the post, Peng directly addressed Zhang.

“As a vice premier, you said you were not afraid. I know that my exposing what has really happened between us is like hitting a rock with an egg. I still want to reveal it. With your smarts and your power, I know you will deny it and you will get back at me,” Peng said.

From The Epoch Times

Help end Communism world wide. Sign the End CCP Petition at endccp.com.

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn

Related

Recommended

Huawei Expects Losses Up To $40 Billion in Smartphone Revenues

In May 2019, former President Donald Trump added Huawei to the Entity List due to security concerns. The trade blacklist prevents American companies from conducting transactions with Huawei without getting permission from the government. Washington then placed a blanket ban on Huawei in Sept. 2020 that blocked the firm from securing chip supplies from America. The Chinese company consequently failed to get advanced chips necessary for manufacturing smartphones.

Read more